Story: Kweku Zurek (Originally published in the Graphic Sports on 22/9/14)
|McDon seperating Banku and Napari at a press conference|
The undefeated duo of Banku and Napari were set to clash for the WBA International Cruiserweight championship at the Accra Sports Stadium on October 3 until GBA medical officer, Dr Samuel Armah Acquaye last Friday ruled out Napari after a medical examination.
“During the examination, I found out that Napari was unfit to fight so I ruled him out. He came to me and I advised him that he couldn’t fight not only in this fight but for some time till he cures himself,” Dr Acquaye told Accra based radio station Starr FM.
The decision represents a huge set-back for Napari (18-0-0), who was unavailable for comment but had earlier expressed his delight with making a return to the sport after a two-year absence.
However, McDon Atitsogbe, CEO of McDon Promotions says he is unperturbed by the development and has declared that his outfit has already begun the search for a new opponent who will take on Banku on a new date.
Mr Atitsogbe said:“The GBA has not called-off the fight, the fight is definitely coming on and we are just changing Banku’s opponent. I don’t want to declare the name of the new opponent until everything is sealed; Banku will still fight but not on October 3.
“Napari was just declared unfit, I think he has some issues and it will affect his health if he fights. We should just respect the medical and move on, people say he can still fight but personally if he has been declared unfit we have to let go and move on “, he added.
According to Graphic Sports sources, former Black Bomber Maxwell Amponsah alias Black Wolf leads Ugandan slugger, Hamza Wandera and Nigerian brawler, Michael Gbenga in the race to replace Napari with Ghanaian cruiserweight contender, Prince George Akrong being an outsider.
In a related development, the GBA has denied ruling-out Napari from fighting adding that a decision will only be made after a meeting with all the interested parties on Tuseday.
“We asked Napari to go for a medical and as at now we have not received the results. Officially the GBA Board has not decided anything; an announcement will only come-out on Tuesday", said GBA spokesperson, Gifty Naa Darkoa Dodoo.